Recycling & Trash Services
The Township has their contact with Waste Management (800-866-4460). Contract price is $60.84 per quarter for both services. Residents of Glencannon have their contract with Waste Management. The following areas pay for their services through their Homeowners Association:
- Carriage Brook
- Heathrow Court
- Meadowbrook Heights
- Victoria Court
- Waterford Villas
Those Homeowners Association’s can contract with a hauler of their choosing.
All trash should be placed at curbside the night before to ensure uninterrupted service. Make sure trash is visible and within three feet of the curb. Service times may vary depending on operational issues, weather, etc. Specific tips include:
- All trash must be bagged. No trash can be accepted loose in bins or cans
- Carpet must be cut in 4 feet by 4 feet sections, rolled up and secured at both ends. Each section must weigh less than 33 pounds.
- Do not place anything at or near the curb that is not to be disposed of.
- Do not use any container marked with hazardous waste or recycling containers for your trash.
- Recycling material must be placed in container clearly marked as "Recycling".
- To avoid spillage of water-base paint, use cat liter or sawdust to dry the paint and place at the curb with the lid removed.
- Tree trimmings and brush clippings must be secured in manageable bundles with lengths no greater than 3 feet and branch diameters no larger than 3 inches, weighing less than 33 pounds.
Materials Not Accepted
The following items are not allowed in waste containers:
- 55 Gallon Drums
- Any Type of Oil
- Automobile Parts
- Cast Iron items
- Chemical Products
- Concrete or Rocks
- Construction Debris
- Florescent Tubes
- Hazardous waste
- Items Containing Freon
- Lead Base Paint
- Medical Waste
- Radioactive Materials
- Yard Waste
Residential Recycling Bins
All residents are required to recycle. As a new resident please contact Waste Management to get your 64 gallon recycling container delivered to your residence. All residence that belong to a Homeowner Association, please pick up your 30 gallon recycling container from the Township office. Recycling bins are the property of North Strabane Township and should be returned to the Township when moving away.
Recyclables accepted for pickup will include bi-metallic and aluminum cans, clear and colored glass, and plastic containers (1 through 7).
Senior Citizens Discount
All residents who are 62 years of age or older are eligible to receive a 10% discount. A copy of a birth certificate or valid driver's license is required to verify proof of age. Please contact the office at 724-745-8880 for any further questions.
Commercial and industrial businesses are reminded that participation in the Township's recycling program is mandatory. Township ordinance requires that all businesses must separate high grade office paper, aluminum, and corrugated paper (cardboard) from the waste stream and store the recyclable materials until collection. If recyclable materials are collected by a hauler other than the Township's authorized agent, businesses must submit an annual report to the Township disclosing the type and weight of materials recycled during the previous year.
The Township is required by the Department of Environmental Protection to report annually the types and amounts of materials recycled by both residential and commercial sources. The Department requires all municipalities that receive recycling performance grants implement an enforcement program to monitor participation, issue warnings, and assess fines and penalties when necessary.